Saturday, December 9, 2006

COFFEE has become extremely complicated

Back in the day when ordering a coffee was simple... life was easy... I remember when you could say "Regular, Light with Sweet n Low... That meant a regular coffee with lots of milk. Simple... Easy.. Then the small paper cup that we all know.. the Blue and White Parthenon... (also noted on the cover of Wendy Wasserstein's book Shiksa Goddess) was "NOT BIG ENOUGH"!!! So along came another size. Great for those of us who need more than that small cup!!! But what has happened to the world of buying a simple cup of coffee over the last ten years is revolutionary!!! Small and Large are no longer easily understood.. Its Tall, Grande, Venti, Super, 16 oz, 20 oz, and many others I am sure.. Then its not just "Milk"... Its Skim, Low-Fat, 2%, 1%, Half n Half, Half Milk and Half N Half, Soy Milk, Rice Milk, Fat Free Half n Half, Flavored Non Dairy Creamers (HORRID STUFF).... WHEW... Thank Heavens they still have Regular and Decaf but add to that list.. Cap, Espresso, Latte, Au Lait, Chai, Mochaccino, Mocha, Frappaccino.. The list goes on and on... So I had to be in a Starbucks a few weeks back to bring my friend an iced coffee that she was "dying" for and wanted it BLACK!!! So I ventured into the Starbucks on Third Avenue and 61st Street. Listening to all the orders gave me a headache.. Pumpkin spiced Latte Vente Skim Milk etc etc... SOUNDS Gross!!! All the while I was trying to figure out how to order a Large Decaf Coffee??? I was starting to feel very stupid... Then paying for this "liquid gold"... So 2 large coffees (with no Bells and Whistles) came to almost $6.00 ... Amazing... Interesting for some of these Starbucks addicts to keep a tab on what they spend in a month I am sure it is shocking!!! I'll stick to the good ole "back in the day" stuff....

Have Fun! I always do!

RISA

No comments: