Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Fashion Industry Loses a Giant - Janet Brown has died

I have been a customer and friend of Janet Brown for quite a few years. I was very saddened this morning to receive a phone call from a friend telling me Janet was killed yesterday afternoon in a car accident on her way from her home in Oyster Bay to the store in Port Washington. I was shocked. I had just seen Janet this week at The Regency Hotel in NYC during one of her trunk shows that she hosted several times a year. I had handed her a bracelet that she needed to have repaired for me. It is so surreal. Although Janet operated her business out of a small shop in Port Washington for many years most of her clients were NYC's society set. She dressed them all! Janet had a keen eye for fit and a level of taste and style is that very rarely seen. She was known all over the world in the high fashion industry. Janet I thank you for Kiton and Taher Chemerik and all the others!! Janet, my friend you will be sorely missed.

xoxo,

RISA

2 comments:

Frank said...

Risa - I am one of Janet's Philadelphia cousins. I thought that your words were very thoughtful. She will be missed, there is no question about it! I am still in shock myself. Janet's sister, Elaine is a remarkable woman as well, who gives of herself 24/7 and knows no boundaries of selflessness. It's a tough time for everyone, but is re-assuring to see people like yourself express how she touched you. Janet always had funny, quick responses that put smiles on my face often. THanks for the kind words, they traveled distances and are appreciated!

Frank said...

Risa - I am one of Janet's Philadelphia cousins. I thought that your words were very thoughtful. She will be missed, there is no question about it! I am still in shock myself. Janet's sister, Elaine is a remarkable woman as well, who gives of herself 24/7 and knows no boundaries of selflessness. It's a tough time for everyone, but is re-assuring to see people like yourself express how she touched you. Janet always had funny, quick responses that put smiles on my face often.