Sunday, July 8, 2007

No DIET Coke No Artificial Sweeteners at Empire Diner

So we sit down at the Empire Diner on Tenth Avenue and 22nd Street and I order a Diet Coke... NOT!!!!!!! I am told by the waiter that they do not serve Diet Coke or any beverage with artificial sweeteners. Hmmm I am a little puzzled but I decide to just have water... Jeff orders coffee and I decide to order a cup too not thinking that they only serve "sugar".... I am told their reason for this is keeping it "old school" 50's style diner and back then they didn't have artificial sweeteners.... WHAT!!! Back then they didn't have Caesar Salads, Blue Cheese Burgers, Veggie Burgers and Tofu..... The waiter says its a pain too and I tell him yes it is especially for someone with Juvenile Diabetes like myself. He says yea I am on the Atkins Diet all the time and it is really tough for me... I tell him at least being on the Atkins Diet is a choice. I really wanted to tell him what a fucking asshole he was to compare choosing to be on a No Carb diet with having a chronic autoimmune disease but I didn't want to waste the energy at that moment.... Then a guy at the next table asks if the pies are from The Little Pie Co. and the waiter asks the manager who says our pies are from several different places. The Tollhouse Pie is from Umanoff and Parsons he says.... Now isn't it a bit hypocritical for a diner who prides itself on being "old school" not to bake their own pies!!! I think they must be too fucking cheap to buy the little blue, pink and yellow packets or maybe they were disinherited from the Sweet N Low fortune...

Have Fun! I Always Do!

RISA

No comments: